Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Weburn Mental Hospital - Interior

PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE FOR FULL LOCATION DETAILS & IMAGES @ www.vanishedcompass.com/weyburn-mental-hospital--sk.html Seems just yesterday I stepped through the doors into the Weyburn Mental Hospital and was overwhelmed by the size. Walking the halls of the hospital was amazing. If only I had seen what it was like to be open. All I could think about is what it must have been like to have been admitted to the hospital or to work here. Bars on the windows, secure doors in every hallway, cages in the stairwells and rooms for many many beds all to share.

It was very obvious time had taken its toll on the hospital. The ceilings were fallen, rooms moldy, floors covered in water from the windows being open, dead animals everywhere, paint falling off the walls and ripped curtains falling off the rods. The experience was amazing and I am still amazed and thrilled that I was able to document most of this hospital before it was demolished.

Here are just a few of my pictures of the interior of the Weyburn Mental.
Enjoy.
























2 comments:

Dawn said...

I have an aunt and uncle who met (and later married) while working at the Weyburn Mental Hospital. (She a nurse and he an orderly.) And oh the tales they've told us over the years. Some laughable, others just really sad. And a few that make you shake your head at what was considered procedure during that era. Scary.
Thanks for the tour.

arilem said...

Dawn you are still around! That is good to know. Its so neat to hear stories from people who know people that worked there or were there themselves. As I have said before i wish i was there when it was open. I have heard many stories as well and you are right some stories are good and some are really sad and others ... well i just wish i had never heard them. It is to bad that the hospital is completely gone and they did not save any part of it. The Weyburn Mental was so rich in history & stories.

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers