Saturday, January 10, 2009

ghosttownscanda.ca cont'

On another note this site is a good idea. But what most people don't realize is that once a location gets onto the internet it is bound to be destroyed by:
a) antique hunters & people looking to take collectibles for their own collections
b) kids who decide to make it a party spot and destroy things or
c) people who find it funny to burn down old buildings aka arsonists.
There has been a lot of arson attacks on old buildings around the province this year. And this is why you don't see any of my locations posted on the internet. I want to protect these pieces of history, preserve & document what is left. Eventually these locations will all be gone but why not try and save them for as long as we can?

The internet is good, but when something like this site is started there is more bad that comes out of it then good. The few decent people that check out and add to the site are one in a few. As most people just leach off the locations and before you know it, there is nothing left. It is to bad we can not all share our locations publicly without worrying that they may be destroyed. I love to share pictures but you will never see me post any names unless of course it is already gone. I want to preserve the ghost towns and other locations I have worked hard to find and I plan to share them with those I trust.

I am posting this because a town that I use to go frequently has been vandalized and most things taken out of the houses. This use to be a classic ghost town with lots of old houses and lots of antiques. Now the houses are all boarded up because of vandals and kids partying. As well the owner of the land has started knocking some of the houses down because to many people are getting into them and they are dangerous. It is to bad that the owner has to do this at all. For years this town just sat there, visitors came and went no worry at all. Now look what has happened and I am willing to bet because of this site.

What I know is that another location publicly posted on the site is the cause of vandals stealing precious items from an old elevator as well as an old general store. I spoke with the owner of this old town and he told me that since the place was posted on this site the activity has doubled and people come out to party all the time. They have to monitor the vehicles coming and going. People are destroying and taking things from the elevator as well are other things from the land. The worst part are these things are being posted on the internet. For example, an old gas pump was stolen from the site and the owner stated it was a beautiful original pump that really added to the site. Someone came and stole it, a picture of this item was posted on the internet stating it was from there. The owner agrees that the site does more bad then good. He does however get the occasional photographer come out and ask to take photos of the site. They find it on the ghosttownscanada.ca site.

You can never really win with a site like this. But it is sad to see things like this happen to these classic locations.

No comments:

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers