Tuesday, March 31, 2009

melting snow

Recently I went on a road trip with a friend of mine. Two girls, one truck and the whole day. The day we went it was warm, so the snow was melting. Perfect weather to get yourself in trouble. A good mixture of mud, slush & snow.
The day started off with a hike through thick trees to reach a stone house in thigh high snow.The house was worth it but the walk definitely was a workout.
Not to mention I walked through this snow with an expensive camera loaned to me by my boyfriend. All else fails protect the camera and that's what I did. During the day I decided to jump out of the truck and walk towards a church, I did not even think about the fact that maybe there was a road, so I walked right across the ditch. All the way up to my hips in snow I had to get pulled out by my friend and not drop the camera. The things I do to keep it safe. Here are some pictures of the best & deepest snow.
TIP: Bring lots of extra pants & socks

After this we drove down a road clearly used only in the summer. We drove over hard snow and then through snow drifts, I pointed out that this road was only used in the summer and we should turn back. Nope, she was confident we could make it through. Well here is what happens when you own a truck and are positive you will not get stuck:
TIP: Be resourceful, use anything you can find - gravel, sticks from nearby trees, cardboard & always always pack a shovel & gravel

The snow was so deep it was right up to the undercarriage, it was melting so the tires only spun; we shoveled, broke off branches, ripped cardboard & moved snow with our hands & pushed the vehicle while running so we did not get stuck in the slush - 2 girls, 1 hour & we got out. No tow truck, no help and no wasting of time.

No comments:

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers