Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Bridge & The Battlefords

I recently took a trip to North Battleford! That's right I have never been there, so I thought I should check out the area. I also found out that my ancestors from the Ukraine came over and homesteaded in the area. The bit of history made the trip a bit more interesting. On the way there I stopped at the Bordon Bridge which proved to be especially fun that day due to high wind gusts. After that I explored North Battleford and then hit the countryside. I found many homesteads, some old churches & a school. On the way home even saw a moose!!! Of course with my camera I was unable to get a good picture as it was getting dark.

A few things I learned on this trip:
1. Not all interesting trees covering an old road lead to something interesting
2. Always always try the door handle, because it may be open
3. If the stairs are sagging you are fine, if the foundation is crumbling dont risk it
4. People leave the strangest things behind
5. You can find a hotel almost anywhere, even in a ghost town

Here are some pictures from the trip. All should be self explanatory. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Dawn said...

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! If I'd known you were headed to N. Battleford, I could've toured around with you a bit...we're only half an hour away! And there are some really neat things we've gone on trecks to see. One of them being the twisted trees at Hafford (link: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~remphre/crooked.shtml ) Next time. Glad your trip was a success with your fantastic pictures!

arilem said...

OMG! I can not believe you live up near North Battleford! Where abouts? I plan to spend more time exploring up north as I seem to always forget about it although i know quite a few good churches & locations near Blaine Lake. And yes i have been to the crooked trees many times and i hope to go back in the next couple weeks! If i knew how to contact you I would inform you of my upcoming trips and we could meet. I could always use another person on trips. Thank you for all the comments & compliments.

Dawn said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Yard, garden, and soccer have kept me away! I think a jaunt together would be a great idea. email me next time you're out this way! mdgutek@gmail.com

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers