Thursday, July 16, 2009

homestead trip

The plan for this trip was to hit southeastern Saskatchewan & spend some time with my family. Everything seemed to be going well at first, the car was packed the night before & we got up in the morning on time and hit the road. Just outside of the city i realized i forgot my sunglasses. Not bad considering we had packed everything else. I figured i could live without them and there was no replacing prescription sunglasses on the road. We drove for 5 hours and made a detour through weyburn to photograph the demolished mental hospital. We finally made it to our destination after avoiding many urges to stop at abandoned houses.

That night we went to set up our tent which i had let my friend pack. I get everything out and spread it on the ground only to discover we were missing the most important part of the tent. We ended up buying this lame pentagonal tent that has a black plastic piece for the poles to attach into at the top. Without this piece you are not able to set up the tent. This was a huge problem. I was already mad at this tent as i realized it leaked when i tested it out and had to go out and buy more tarps & pegs for it. I could not believe that my friend forgot to pack the most important part!! I would not have cared if he forgot the pegs or the tent tarp, anything but the plastic piece. Not replaceable we were stuck. Lucky were staying in a small town where my aunt knew people. Her friends brother ended up lending us a tent and we are forever thankful. What a start to our trip, eh?

Well things got better from there. That day we went to Cannington manor & explored the area a bit. The next day we went exploring around the area with my 10year old cousin who is very knowlegable when it comes to abandoned houses. She knew all the houses, shools, barns, etc. in the area. I was amazed and happy to have someone who knew the area. Her love for abandoned houses is impressive and i hope she keeps it up until she is my age. Who knows maybe i could pass on some of my locations to her in the future?

The trip overall was great. We met some very nice people, saw some amazing stone buildings, found some amazing 2 story brick buildings, many one room school houses, a ghost town and of course abandoned churches. I plan to explore this area more in the future as there is so much potential.

The following are some of the interior & abandoned buildings we saw on the trip. I will post the stone & brick houses we saw in my next blog.



No comments:

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers