Monday, June 8, 2009

lake detours

This past weekend i went to the lake. It takes most people at most 3.5 hours to make it to my lake. When i drove to the lake this time it took me 8.5 hours to get there and on the way home took me about 10 hours. Oh, and did i mention we did this in 2 days maybe a bit less. Overall the trip went well we found some very unique spots, most note-worthy was an abandoned church that has not been vandalized (just has not withstood the test of time).
A couple things i learned from this experience:
1. distances in books are not always accurate
- for example if it says the road is straight and will be 3.2km, they really mean it will have constant turns, hills & sharp turns and really be 5.2km
2. always stop at small towns, you never know what you will find
3. just when you think you are making good time you hit construction
4. chances of meeting the caretaker of a church that you want to get into ~1/10
5. its clear that no one in this province knows how to attach a stop sign

captain obvious was here
church in the middle of nowhere

small town beauty

remember that last stop sign i posted? well these people clearly don't know how to post one either
looks to me like the province gave new stop signs to these people without instructions

very old Ukrainian church

construction as usual - but we got a pilot vehicle this time!

graveyard - an abandoned graveyard is in those trees

spotted this one from the road!

some climbing, crawling & jumping was involved to get to this one

lounging out in a church window while my partner did some photography

beautiful church still in use - all the stars are cut by hand

along the highway heritage church

1 comment:

Mike said...

I have to agree with your comment about the stop signs. It's like they just showed up in the mail one day and people went "Oh, that's nice. Let's tie it to that post over there."

I also note you've used a larger-then-normal number of my photos. What's up with that - you slacking off and don't have any good ones of your own? :P Not that I mind

contact me!

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

About Me

My photo
+ most of my time is spent exploring anything abandoned whether it be industrial, a ghost town, type of hospital, an old church or others + the other part of my time is spent getting an education or drawing

Followers